Libraries of Fairmont State University and Pierpont Community & Technical College

 

Facebook  Twitter  Library RSS Feed  Pinterest  Ask Us

The History in Pictures

Hardway Hall Hardway Hall served as the first home for the library. The Reading Room and Circulation Desk, pictured here in 1921, were quiet in the post-World War I era.
Reading Room By 1937 though, the library had moved to a different part of the building and business had definitely picked up here in the Reading Room. With Hitler's rise in Europe, however, even Fairmont would soon feel the impact.
FSC student Hitler had taken Poland by 1939 as this FSC student took time to catch up on the news. Nearly 300,000 Americans and possibly 60,000,000 people worldwide were killed during WWII.
1951 building Korea was the new battleground as the new library began to take form in 1951. There was now room to grow. It would not be named Musick Library, however, until 1980.
third floor interior, 1952/3/4 This third floor interior scene of the newly finished FSC library from March 4, 1952 shows off the beautiful terrazzo floors. The slightest noise created an unwelcome echo.
1954 staff The year was 1954, and the library staff soared from two employees to six. Today, there are twenty-two library staff members, including the Director.
1964 library building The library in 1964 was one of the most modern buildings on campus. In less than ten years, it would see another significant change. Notice the prominent "Library" sign.
1969 staff FSC students fought in Vietnam in 1969 as the fashionable staff worked to get all the new books ready for the shelf. Avocado and orange were the colors of choice.
1973 building 1973 brought a significant change to the library. Half of the building was reconstructed to support two auditoriums and a television studio. When construction was completed, the lower floor of the library was designated as the Media Center.
card catalog The card cataloge in 1980 represented "information access" at its finest. It consisted of thousands of hand-typed thick stock paper cards arranged in wooden drawers with metal handles. All of the cards were sorted according to author, title, or subject.
third floor interior, 1952/3/4 In July 1980, the West Virginia Board of Regents designated the library at the main campus of Fairmont State College as the Ruth Ann Musick Library in honor of Ruth Ann Musick, late Professor of English. Dr. Musick came to Fairmont State in 1946 and served until her retirement in 1967. She was a noted West Virginia folklorist and is best remembered for the following collections of folk tales: The Telltale Lilac Bush (1965), Green Hills of Magic (1970), and Coffin Hollow (1977).
computer lab Today, Fairmont State and Pierpont students, staff, and faculty can access the library from home. 50,000 e-books, 150 databases containing millions of articles, and virtual reference by online chat support the educational process. Remodeled in 2006, the library now includes a computer lab adjoining a coffee bar, group study rooms, and a state-of-the-art online catalog that is shared with all Marion County public and school libraries. The Libraries of Fairmont State University… we’re here to serve you.