Please submit your application for the Great Teacher's Seminar as a PDF or Word attachment to the appropriate institution.
Great Teachers' Seminar
Any full-time faculty member at Fairmont State University or Pierpont Community & Technical College who would benefit from and contribute to the seminar should apply.
Two awards of $500 to cover room (double occupancy), all meals, special events, and all other expenses except transportation.
Applicants should submit a written request to the appropriate institution using the submission box on the left. Your proposal should containi the reasons the recipient would be a valuable contributor to the seminar.
February 17, 2012
Applicants are rated according to the rubric.
Each participant chosen will be expected to bring with him/her:
1. A one-page seminar paper describing a personally attempted instructional innovation (successful or unsuccessful);
2. A one-page seminar paper describing a problem in instruction for which he/she has not found a solution;
3. Any single teaching strategy or device (homemade or commercial) which has enhanced his/her teaching effectiveness;
4. One copy of his/her college catalog; and
5. One copy of the book that has had the strongest influence on his/her attitude toward teaching.
Traditionally this seminar has been held the last week of June through the first week of July. Check the West Virginia Great Teachers' Seminar site for details regarding dates and times and registration.
Purpose & History
For one week each summer, the West Virginia Faculty Development Network sponsors the West Virginia Great Teachers' Seminar. The seminar focuses on innovations and problems of instruction on the college and university level. The seminar is not so much an assembly of great teachers as it is a group of dedicated educators in search of the great teachers within themselves.
The seminar will be held at North Bend State Park Lodge in Cairo, West Virginia. For further information please click here.